Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Jingles

Nope sorry this post isn't going to be about happy tunes oft heard on commercial radio stations. You should by now all know me much better than that - I can't abide adverts when listening to the radio, so I don't listen to them.

I just fancied using that word.

Last night was my chance to revel in literature night. Having finished the White Queen I was ripe for inspiration so Beeb 4 was my port of call straight after a hellish Enders* and a even more hellish Panorama. (Just what you need to relax after a murky Monday family courts and Londoners with more woes than a 13 fingered human).

No no I was engrossed instead by In their own words: British Novelists - picking up from last week. I was ashamed at the names I knew but had not placed as being British, nor whose works I had actually read. I scoured my book shelf and sure enough a fair few were there. As for some of the others I have heard their work dramatised on the radio. All great stuff. It got me restless again. Inspired to write - desperate to crack on with my course and even more detached from my day to day job...needless to say wandering to work this morning after a enlongated tube journey was far from inspiring. Plus the new book I have started is a bit 'delibrate', not sure I will stick with it. My evening out has been cancelled - so to Waterstones I shall go - to look for some tube fodder. Can't beat a good book... beats faffing around on dating websites for sure...


* For anyone who is as sad as me and who watches Enders still - do you ever get confused at the end of each programme when they give out the BBC helpline number if you have been affected by any of the issues in this evening's programme.... my first complication is knowing which of the many disturbing social traits I am supposed to ring about... drug taking; prison pregnancy; bad hairdos; domestic violence; alcohol abuse; eviction; single mothers; bad shoulder pads; child abuse; exam cheating; gay relationships amongst Muslim men etc etc... how many buttons does a phone key pad have? Press 1 for domestic violence etc etc.... ?!

No comments: