Tuesday, February 24, 2009

'Revolutionary Road'



Well I finally got to see the film of the book I was reading a year ago...and much like the book commenting on the film has left me strangely without a huge number of words to say. Was it bland? Was it un-evoking? I guess yes it was. I am not sure Leonardo helped as Frank. And the film really swathed through Yates dark passages about his days at work. The plot was all there but the depth of drudge was lost in the celluloid. I did not leave the cinema elated or deflated. Just devoid of emotion. The ending is horrific but the film did not give me enough to have any sense of connection with either Frank or April. I was frankly, no pun intended, non-plussed. But then I had been about the book too. I suspect I need to re-read it now to try and get to grips with it. Did I miss something? I think the message gets across loud and clear. Suburban day to day can be exceedingly dull. And yet the masses subscribed. Women have since crept and leapt out of the kitchen and turned that theory on its head. Are we any happier? Was it a revolution or just an unfortunate outcome? Maybe I will be able to better get a handle on it after a second read.

No comments: