Saturday, February 16, 2008

An Evening with Johnny Depp...

So with a early start to my Friday evening I decided after checking the TV schedules to saunter to the cinema and watch 'Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street'. I figured the exercise would do me good and it meant I did not need to put the heating on.
Tim Burton's genre - I guess you either loath it or love it. I quite like the darkness and I certainly like the hairstyles Mr Depp ends up with.
As for a musical - well I love all that too. My favourite films inc. 'Mary Poppins' and 'The Wizard of Oz'. 'Sweeney Todd' however is not one for the kids. It has a few smirk worthy moments - but very few. The atmosphere oozes off the screen however and the charcoal eyes and deep red bloods contrast throughout.
Mrs Lovett with her butchering cleaver, Sweeney with his murderous shaving blade, as they dance in the pie shop, as they dance in the bake house. The dream of being by the seaside - pure theatre.
I admit not a film for everyone - but a defo winner for me. I am absent mindedly wandering round the house singing 'Sweeney, Sweeney' in my worst ever cross between Anthony Bewley/David Bowie and Johnny Depp. Oh Sweeney, Sweeney and pretty women... Rickman and Spall evil evil evil.
I was though slightly disappointed with the ending. Abrupt to say the least...
Pie anyone?

No comments: