Friday, April 27, 2007

Rant 2

Supermarkets.
  • Plastic bags - which in the case of Sainso's are now bright orange so really brighten up the British hedge rows...
  • the laugh I had when realising that the supermarket were selling re-usable bags as a fashion item which they then put in a one of their own plastic bags.
  • Whilst shopping on Wednesday I had taken my bright Green 'go green' and Cole's shopping bags (all the way from Oz - which, I know ,the flight alone questions my green ideals) to put my shopping in. I always take them - you can more in them and for carrying them home shanks pony they are by better/easier to carry than a palm ripping plastic one. The girl on the till though had other ideas and kept pulling off the plastic ones and expanding them so by the time she finished I had to fight my way through these things to find my shopping. Grr.
  • Packaging. Calls to reduce it - I agree. Why do I need to put my British grown veg/fruit (don't get me started on foreign grown items) in a plastic bag - I can put them in my shopping bag loose and they are fine - means a bit of thought when putting items on the checkout so that packing is easier - but it becomes a habit.
  • As I stand and watch around me people are just putting a couple of items into their 'free' plastic bag and then walking to their cars to travel ooh no doubt less than 3 miles back to their home. I despair. Where do they put them all when they have unpacked the other end? Why don't they bring them out with them next time they shop? Am I the only one who cares?
  • There used to be a plastic bag recycling bin in the store. With the revamp it disappeared. You now have to be pro-active and ask the customer service desk to take your plastic bags - how many do that I wonder?

So I have come to the conclusion - ALL plastic bags should be banned. Thus enforcing people to think before they shop. Its wanton advertising - stop being a hoarding!!

STOP being so lazy!! Where do you think these bags end up?! In a land fill site along the Thames coast at Mucking. What a charming legacy to leave the next generations...

1 comment:

Furry said...

Just catching up, now I'm back from tour, and I couldn't agree more. They are the bain of the canals (along with the shopping trollies which they don't seem bothered about either) - A plastic shopping back will quickly wrap itself round the propeller. This then becomes something that flails around grabbing anything else it can find to wrap around the prop with it, very quickly, and frequently in city centres, the boat stops moving forward.

It should be the law for all shops over a certain square footage to take (any) used consumables packaging back from consumers. They would then have the overhead of setting up facilities, and the land-fill tax to contend with, the only way they could avoid it would be to decrease/get rid of their packaging.

Decrease the frequency of home refuse collections still further together with fines for those who allow their waste to collect at home.

And there should be a per incident fine of £20K for each shopping trolley/basket found abandoned off premises - then perhaps the supermarkets would implement already existing technology to stop the damn things going astray.

Thanks, I feel better now.