Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Kent - Part II

Reculver - Sunday 15th April

Home of the Roman ruins and a bit more besides...





I have never been to Reculver before - it has always been a curiosity viewed from the car as you travel along the Thanet way. From a distance it looks huge and foreboding. So in order to test this feeling I requested a visit. The remains up close are indeed awe inspiring - the view across the estuary and the history hidden within. However the reality is that the ruins are a magnet for teenagers who think playing football up against the grave stones is a great thing to do. No matter that there is a filed opposite which is free of obstructions. So I was disappointed at the lack of respect being shown to our heritage. One of the pictures show the beaches were Barnes Wallis tested his bouncing bomb - crucial during the Second World War in cripplingly the German dams - and of course instrumental in the infamous Dambusters story.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kent eh? Don't forget to credit the good people of Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Dorset for their part in the bouncing bomb tests. I don't know...it's all me me me with you isn't it. Heh heh heh ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Chastise

Karoona said...

I wasn't saying Kent was the only place/part in that thread of history - merely that of all the beaches around the UK - this was the ONE!!! so neh!

Anonymous said...

me and you...outside...greased up

Karoona said...

must we?!