Tuesday, February 07, 2006

A walk through my city...

I was going to share my thoughts about the Hip-Hop Northern Line tonight - but having been canned like a sardine on the platform at Bank I think I would rather share the sides of London that I do like....These were taken yesterday on a walk that started at Vauxhall and ended at London Bridge. At last my knee is letting me out and about again.


This is my favourite spot on the river - extra marks if you know where it is!!





These naturally are not the sardines I saw at Bank this evening. They are though amazingly detailed for lamp posts along a grey river. The romantic side of the river...oh I think the river is romantic no matter what the time of year or whether I am alone or with a companion. The river is always different, the tides, the light - and at this time of year the naked tree branches afford the viewer a glimpse at buildings beyond which would normally be blanketed.

The walk was over the course of an afternoon/evening. Yes, a pub and some televised sport were involved in the afternoon! But I walked off my pint and a bit! And as an afternoon it actually felt like being on a city weekend break, strolling around my town at a time of the week when normally I am squirrled away out of sight and apprehensive that the next day is Monday... I recommend Sunday sojourns along the river.






The Lambeth Bridge and the Blackfriars Bridge - both captured my eye because of the way light was so brillant underneath them. Spot the tide also - very low at 1.30pm - but quite high and flowing at speed at 6.30pm.

I have some other pictures from the day - but I'll save the scary St Pauls for a one off entry!

I did feel slightly less grumpy when I got off the tube and walked home this evening. In a leafless tree outside the church (which is currently having its spire re-roofed) the birds were singing - roosting for the evening. A sign spring is round the corner? A sign it will be warmer this evening? Either way I am glad I left my ear phones at home this morning - as it meant when i walked home I was able to hear the cheerful chirupping of small but loud birdsong.

I have to credit my companion yesterday also - thanks Mr G for getting me/us out of the house and seeing things through different eyes. Patiently he waits as I see a piccy and take it. Patiently he waits.

No comments: