Thursday, February 23, 2006

Doncaster 2 Gills 0

My trip to Doncaster bad result, good day out.

It was like going back in time. A wooden stand. Cramped seats. But beautiful weather and a good family atmosphere. The romance of the game I always challenge Man Utd fans with...













It is called the Earth Stadium.



My favourite moment - Donny Dog shaking our fans hands in the away end - yes all terracing. And here to celebrate the finer moments of the day is the Dog in action!(Which reminds me, I did email SN and he did reply. An apology at last. Honesty is all I ask.) Oh yes and that former Gills great Leo-Fortune West.....nuff said. Hope he had his contact lenses in.

I have to say I made lots of notes in the grey book over the weekend but having just tidied the flat, hoovered, watched the Apprentice (Go On Alan give em hell!) my desire to write about the full experience has dissipated. At least the notes are still there. SO when I do I can discuss the smells of onions coming from the Snack Bar, the fact that as an away fan in the stands I had to walk through the home fans to get to the toilet and that if you missed the red door with toilet signs on you actually ended up going through the turnstyles back to the outer sanctum. I will also then be able to recall the fettish the Doncastrians have with topiary on roundabouts... the Doncaster race course was opposite the Earth Stadium. Which is moving - the new stadium is in its skeletal stages. The game? Gillingham looked helpless. Note not hopeless. Missing the key players and with more changes than are required on a bad day on the tube network, they never looked settled or united as a team. It is a shame as we were starting to get more focused. I do worry what will happen. The MB this week seems more concerned with the tensions between the Independent Supporters Club and the new faction FOGFC. Men. Games.

No comments: