Saturday, March 14, 2009

Day 5: Friday 13th

So on this Red Nose Day I find myself at the end of my 1st of 2 weeks away from the office. To say its tiring is an understatement.
This morning I roused myself and went for a walk, knee strapped, uncombed hair and my second pair of buy one get one free spectacles. 9am. A promising start to my day. The usual route. No particular reasons. No purchases required. The clouds were trying to go higher and allow the sun to pour through but the weight of blue sky beyond prevented a full bright picture emerging. I walked gingerly. Not my usual high speed thud but a reasonable speed. The knee twinging and reminding me it was not okay. I think hobbling and looking eccentric is a good way of avoiding attention. Or conflict.
As I walk it feels unlike usual. Walking on a weekday presents different challenges. More traffic. After 10.30am plenty of pushchairs and prams. Mothers pushing while trying to cradle a mobile in the neck and continue reaching out beyond the pushing. The cars. Fewer than the weekend. Lorries, buses and vans cruise the roads. Businesses on the move. Weekend traffic is less obvious, less frustrated.
I wander towards Wimbledon Mags court. People loiter outside. I think they believe I am due to plea. I am not. The irony of thinking I could be in there representing one of the loiterers is not lost on me as they cast their stares. I continue. Undeterred. Wimbledon draws closer. I have decided books are the answer. I will spend the afternoon on the sofa with my knee raised and read. Lovely idea. But mind wanders.
I go straight to Waterstones. 3 for 2. Perfect. I finally get hold of Alice Sebold's latest - The Almost Moon. Then I spy The Damned United by David Peace. In truth the back of my mind was intent on purchasing Wetlands. It was in the 3 for 2 pile, but as a hard back it was more than I was willing to pay. I trawl through the other piles. Bookshops before 10.30am are quiet and thoughtful. I was the only one in there. Paradise. A million different people to be. A millions different places to be. A million possible outcomes.
I find what I am looking for. A compilation. Erotic fiction.
I purchase my books.
I toddle into Next. Suddenly there is no rush home - just the inner knowledge of how my afternoon reading could be.
After Next, I go and get a Mothers Day card. Just cos the folks are Down Under does not mean I can't send her a card. I have missed her. Our chats. This is my taster of the future and it daunts me. New Look. Is moving to the Tandem Centre. Nice. Nothing else I want. I go the long route home via the trading estate and Sunhill Station. Homebase for some Hycianths. I love the smell as they bloom.
In anticipation of my afternoon reading I go to Starbucks and get a large latte to take away - so much better now I have discovered the art of ordering a wet one. I am amazed at the number of young attractive men in there. I feel slightly annoyed I look like the eccentric old lady. But actually am comfortable with it so smile regardless. I have a purpose. I sashay out of the coffee shop and head home.
Home. Ah sweet home. No post.
I disrobe of trackie bottoms and t-shirts. I have to get the blessed knee support off before my knee explodes. Ah hot shower and I feel human again. I dry newly dyed/cut hair and put on one of the dresses that hang hidden in the bathroom. Never to see the stage. Hell know why. I fancy I look rather fetching in this red flowered dress. The v-neck slightly lower than I'd like for public shows but fine for pottering.
I put some washing in the machine. Switch on Five Live and listen to the Film Review. Plump up the pillows, lie back and start reading.
Suffice to say lost afternoons like these are hard to come by, but when they happen it's at once tiring and exhilarating.
Oh to share them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Afternoon hope knee is better! Fancy the film Damned Utd? PC Anon x

Karoona said...

Yeah defo! Where n when?! Should I read book first do you think!?

Anonymous said...

Great book just finishing GB84 at moment x opens friday 27th i think so week after? Hows knee? hair looks good btw x

Karoona said...

knee is bearing up, thankfully - been trying to treat it lightly.
Week after sounds perfect! Glad you have recovered from the defeat at the hands of the Scousers Saturday... ttfn x