Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Then Jerico - 1987

So after spending most of Sunday on a music Odyssey I cannot tear the earphones from my ears and rest. So to bed I go with the tortured strains of Mark Shaw etc and Then Jerico...

My family will tell you I was totally in love with Mark Shaw.

My brother endlessly ribbed me for it.
My friends endlessly ribbed me for it.
I even fell in love with someone who looked vaguely like him.
In fact I actually wrote to the man.


Boy the hormones at 14 years were far more attuned than they seem to be 20 years on.

This picture was on my bedroom wall for months. And it was not a small poster! Sure its still at home somewhere!!


Anyway laying in my bed my mind was returned to that day in 1987 when I heard the Motive for the very first time... I was in a shop somewhere with my mum and it was on in the background. Then it kept getting played on Radio 1 (that shows how long ago we are talking!). eventually band and song title were known to me... and my pursuit of TJ discs began...

The Motive 7" vinyl single summer 1987...



First (the sound of music) Vinyl LP 1987 ... 'Apathy and Sympathy', 'Laughter Party' and 'The Hitcher' among my favourites... also contained a poster of the band (then a 4 piece) sat in the long room at Lords in cricketing attire. Good b&w shot.

I bought the Muscle Deep, Cassette Single in the Summer 1987 on a trip to London - my paper round money stretching to the plastic sealed single sized cardboard photo and cassette within..


The the Big Area single was released in 1988 and it shot them to wider coverage (well it was their highest charting single - No 13) and inclusion on compilation albums (yup I have one somewhere Now that's what I call music No 10 or some such early edition of the now infamous brand.)

The Big Area Cd LP Feb 1989.. Then the genius that was the album. I was totally hooked and have vivid memories of discussing said album with girls at school who I normally avoided. But then I was the guru and I didn't like sharing my favourite band with lesser mortals... Hard to pick favourites from this album as they all meant something to me

Side One: Big Area/What does it take?/You Ought to Know/Song for the Broken hearted/Darkest Hour

Side Two: Reeling/Where You Lie/Sugar Box/Helpless/Under Fire

I guess the 12" version of What does it take with Belinda Carlisle helped sway it!!

What does it take? 12" vinyl single 1989


Well I don’t know if I am wasting my time/Every day you’re getting harder to find/Makes me wonder if it’s all in my mind/But it keeps me hanging on/Oh yeah!Hey!/You keep saying your doing your best/Still your East don’t meet my West/So I, take a look around/Compare you to the rest/But it keeps me hanging on/Hey! /What does it take/To break through?/To make your earth move(If I could live)/Hey! /What does it take/To reach you?/What do I have to prove?/If I could live in the moment with you/What would I do?/And you with your mass serenade/Love everybody/You remember their names/To them you are vision/A dancer in the rain/To you they’re all the same/Hey! What does it take/To break through?/To make your earth move(If I could live)/Hey! /What does it take/To reach you?/What do I have to prove?/If I could live in the moment with you/Don’t you want me?/Ow!What do I have to do/What do I have to do/What do I have to do/What do I have to do/To make your earth move?/What do I have to do/Hey! /What does it take/To break through?/To make your earth move(If I could live)/Hey! /What does it take/To reach you?/What do I have to prove?/If I could live in the moment with you/Hey don’t you want me?(If I could live)/Hey! /what does it take/To reach you/Don’t you want me?/Hey what does it take/what does it take/Don’t you want me?(If I could live)/what does it take/What does it take/Oh what does it take/Gonna make your earth move /I wanna make your earth move…

In 1989 I was but a mere 16 year old trying to pass her GCSE's so she could progress to the 'A' Level world .. a new world when Indie and Brit Pop would be emerging. When music would be truly ruffled again. But until such times the loner in the class would reject Acciieddd and House music and stick instead to the lyrics and rifts that Then Jerico provided. I still get tingles listening to the compilation CD I have (my cassette players all knackered and vinyl player at home).

Reeling.. I was. I do.

Now Mark Shaw has his own venture using the TJ name but mainly writing his own material. 'Almost' was a good album and there are tracks on that which make me stop and inhale a sharp intake of breath. And I read on Answers.com he lives in Tooting...oh well maybe I'll bump into him one day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NO! He's mine!!