Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Monday 7th March 2011

I am supposed to be writing/editing my short story submission. I should also be reading MSP. But for some reason over the last few days I have just wanted to sleep, go for a leisurely walk or immerse myself in fiction related TV programmes... Sebastian Faulks on Fiction was a four hour marathon. Not sure what extra I learnt and Mr Faulks himself was not an endearing fellow. But just to get a sense of classic novels worth reading I did get some enjoyment.. especially as I realised how many I had read and how many more I have now got in a pile waiting to be read...
I then watched South Riding. (the iPlayer is a curse - you can be distracted for hours by programmes you missed through having a full and interesting life)  An adaptation of a novel by Winifred Holtby. It was okay. But somehow dramatisations lack the depth and comfort of being lost in a reading a book. Pity then that I have failed also to do this very much over the last few days...
I cannot help thinking unless I have a deadline or someone badgering me that I just prefer to loaf around. Kidding myself that I am deep in contemplation.. or perhaps I am just mentally letting go of the last two months worth of never ending slog at work.
Spring is upon us and I can't help thinking I want to branch out and meet a companion.. but that too takes energy and drive. Far better to sit and think about doing it than actually do it huh?
Anyway now all my chores are complete. Lunch is eaten and everything washed up I have no excuses.. in fact just writing this is giving me the impetus I need to get back to 'Beggars Can't be Choosers'... my short story which on the advice of tutor and trusted critic I suspect I annihilated last night in an attempt to 'improve' it... editing your own work is far tougher than writing it in the first place... especially when it's on screen and you can't scribble all over it!

No comments: