Wednesday, January 04, 2006

33rd


Okay so normal people spend their birthday's eating, drinking, partying with their friends or lovers. So I am not normal.

BUT I had a great day out with my Pater - all the way to Huddersfield on the 7.15 am coach - stop off at Leicester Forest services and several desperate minutes when all I wanted was the toilet! Re-read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in anticpation of purchasing the DVD of the Johnny Depp film and listened to David Bowie. Ate sarnies and drank from the new hallowed hip flask. The coach roughly divided into three groups - the musical youth up front who once there spent all the 90 mins banging the drum and singing their hearts out for the lads. At the back were the less musical youth but enthused persons either way! In the middle odds and bods like me n Dad, other couples and single earnst blokes who were reading. All in all a friendly atmosphere prevailed. The whole reason for me deciding to go was made truer. Genuine people who respect each others supporting notions, who can laugh with each other and all in all wanted to be there and were determined to enjoy themselves - and they did! And so did I.

We arrived in Huddersfield at about 1pm - not bad at all. Parked up the coach - put on a few more layers and alighted coach. Just in time to see the team coach pull up and the team ascend the steps.



There he is! Danny Spiller! The closest I am ever likely to get! Hooray!

So the team alighted - Jason Brown, Neil Harris, the Jackman, the Shields, the Jepson. I was slightly peturbed that none seemed to want to talk to any of their mates - but they all duly shook hands with the few well wishers who were stood there!



The sun shone and the Gills played fairly well first half, it went rather quickly and by then my toes and fingers were starting to get chilly! Second half - so so unlucky not to score - the drums and bells and triangle played on. Pure noise for the entire 45mins. Plus the 4 mins added time - WHERE did the ref get that from??? And valiantly we held on for a well earned point.. and Danny bless him had one of his best games this season. And Jasey B certainly kept us in the picture.

Reminded me why I love going to football so much. Friendly chatty stewarts, great organisation throughout the day - and the look on my Dad's face at the final whistle when we both knew we had seen one of the best games the Gills have played this season - and certainly the best this year!!! Radio Five Live had Stuart Hall on the case this afternoon and his words were sublime - the coach cheered loudly when he wished all the 200 Gills fans who were there a Happy New Year.

Happy New Year and thank you for making me remember that simple things can give you the biggest glow.

The hard and odd shaped seats on the coach were less favoured by me by 9pm when all I wanted to do was get off the blessed thing! Which incidently was the time we were at South Mimms services dropping off one of the lads - and also when I officially turned 33! For the rest of the journey James and the Giant Peach not enough of a distraction - my back hurt!! Oh well home by 11pm and sound sleep.

So, so far being 33 is ok! Clean sheet and a few new chants - next potential away day - Donny! COME ON!!!

No comments: